SURGICAL FIRST ASSISTANT
- Owensboro, KY
- Owensboro Health Regional Hospital
- Full-time - Days
- Work Hours: 9:00am-9:30pm
- FTE: .9 (72 hrs/biweekly)
- Req #: 20201
Provides direct assistance to physician in procedural areas including invasive and non-invasive techniques.
- Provides visualization of the operative site using appropriate method, including manipulation of tissue and materials, retraction, sponging, suctioning, and irrigation.
- Utilizes appropriate technique to achieve temporary and permanent hemostasis.
- Assists with body plane closure, application of wound dressings, and securing of drainage systems.
- Assists with positioning of patient utilizing stabilizing equipment when necessary, while maximizing patient comfort and safety.
- Performs job duties in accordance with guidelines and professional standards outlined by the state practice standards for the profession.
- High school diploma, General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or higher required upon hire
- A minimum of 2 years' relevant experience required
- CSA - Certified Surgical Assistant through the National Commission on Certification of Surgical Assistants (NCCSA) required upon hire OR
- CSA - Certified Surgical Assistant through the the National Surgical Assistant Association (NSAA) required upon hire OR
- CSFA - Certified Surgical First Assistant through the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) required upon hire AND
- BLS - Certified as a Basic Life Support Healthcare Provider required within 90 days of employment in this position
Skills and Attributes
- Requires critical thinking skills and decisive judgment.
- Works under minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Standing: Frequently
- Walking: Frequently
- Sitting: Occasionally
- Lifting 0-25 lbs: Frequently
- Lifting 25-75 lbs: Rarely
- Lifting over 75 lbs: Rarely
- Carrying 0-25 lbs: Frequently
- Carrying 25-75 lbs: Rarely
- Carrying over 75 lbs: Rarely
- Pushing/Pulling 0-25 lbs: Frequently
- Pushing/Pulling 25-75 lbs: Frequently
- Pushing/Pulling over 75 lbs: Frequently
- Climbing: Occasionally
- Bending/Stooping: Frequently
- Kneeling: Occasionally
- Crouching/Crawling: Occasionally
- Reaching: Frequently
- Talking: Frequently
- Hearing: Frequently
- Repetitive Foot/Leg Movements: Rarely
- Repetitive Hand/Arm Movements: Frequently
- Keyboard Data Entry: Frequently
- Running: Occasionally
- Vision: Depth Perception: Frequently
- Vision: Distinguish Color: Frequently
- Vision: Seeing Far: Frequently
- Vision: Seeing Near: Frequently
Owensboro Health Core Commitments
INTEGRITY - We conduct ourselves with a high level of responsibility, reliability and honesty because we take seriously the trust of our patients and coworkers.
RESPECT - We value and accept the unique talents and contributions of every patient, customer and team member in the Owensboro Health community.
TEAMWORK - We build a spirit of connectivity and fellowship by striving together to overcome obstacles, surpass goals, celebrate accomplishments and plan the future.
INNOVATION - We foster original ideas and creative solutions that improve our daily work and promote the mission of Owensboro Health.
SERVICE - We focus on service to patients, customers and team members by anticipating their needs, thoughtfully meeting those needs and continually improving the quality of everything we do.
EXCELLENCE - We reach beyond basic expectations to expand our knowledge and awareness, produce exceptional work and provide outstanding service.