Assists the nursing staff by performing assigned duties. The nurse extern may perform tasks/acts that are routinely part of any nursing assistant's job description. Under the direct supervision of an RN, performs nursing patient care activities for which they have been educationally prepared and have demonstrated clinical competence to perform the delegated task.
- Greets and orients new patients to the hospital environment.
- Performs tasks/acts that are routinely part of any nursing assistant’s job description under the supervision of the registered nurse.
- Contributes to the assessment of patients by collecting data during a Physical Assessment (including health history) for review and co-signature by the registered nurse.
- Ensures documentation is accurate, complete, specific, and timely.
- Assists nursing staff to identify physical, psychosocial, age-specific, and cultural considerations of each patient.
- Works with the nursing staff to provide personal care according to organizational standards and policies.
- Reports abnormal findings or changes in physical, mental, and emotional conditions to nursing staff.
- Performs patient nursing care activities as delegated and supervised by an RN, including collecting specimens, vital signs, and other related data.
- Nurse Externs may administer medication by P.O., SQ, IM, topical, nasally, otic, optic and inhaled routes under the direct supervision and co-signature of the registered nurse.
- May perform foley catheter insertions (male and female) under the direct supervision of the registered nurse.
- May assist with the administration of oxygen modalities under the direct supervision of the registered nurse.
- May assist with sterile dressing changes under the direct supervision of the registered nurse.
- Demonstrates interpersonal competency in dealing with patients specific to the work area.
- Assists with activity and mobility of patients
- Assists with provision of nonpharmacological interventions.
- Completion of first semester of Nursing program and continued enrollment in Nursing program required upon hire
- No experience required
- BLS - Certified as a Basic Life Support Healthcare Provider required within 90 days of employment in this position
Skills and Attributes
- Requires critical thinking skills and decisive judgment.
- Works under direct supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Standing: Frequently
- Walking: Frequently
- Sitting: Occasionally
- Lifting 0-25 lbs: Frequently
- Lifting 25-75 lbs: Rarely
- Lifting over 75 lbs: Rarely
- Carrying 0-25 lbs: Frequently
- Carrying 25-75 lbs: Rarely
- Carrying over 75 lbs: Rarely
- Pushing/Pulling 0-25 lbs: Frequently
- Pushing/Pulling 25-75 lbs: Frequently
- Pushing/Pulling over 75 lbs: Frequently
- Climbing: Occasionally
- Bending/Stooping: Frequently
- Kneeling: Occasionally
- Crouching/Crawling: Occasionally
- Reaching: Frequently
- Talking: Frequently
- Hearing: Frequently
- Repetitive Foot/Leg Movements: Rarely
- Repetitive Hand/Arm Movements: Frequently
- Keyboard Data Entry: Frequently
- Running: Occasionally
- Vision: Depth Perception: Frequently
- Vision: Distinguish Color: Frequently
- Vision: Seeing Far: Frequently
- Vision: Seeing Near: Frequently
Owensboro Health Core Commitments
INTEGRITY - We conduct ourselves with a high level of responsibility, reliability and honesty because we take seriously the trust of our patients and coworkers.
RESPECT - We value and accept the unique talents and contributions of every patient, customer and team member in the Owensboro Health community.
TEAMWORK - We build a spirit of connectivity and fellowship by striving together to overcome obstacles, surpass goals, celebrate accomplishments and plan the future.
INNOVATION - We foster original ideas and creative solutions that improve our daily work and promote the mission of Owensboro Health.
SERVICE - We focus on service to patients, customers and team members by anticipating their needs, thoughtfully meeting those needs and continually improving the quality of everything we do.
EXCELLENCE - We reach beyond basic expectations to expand our knowledge and awareness, produce exceptional work and provide outstanding service.