Sleep Lab Technologist
- Greenville, KY
- Owensboro Health Muhlenberg Community Hospital
- Sleep Laboratory Outpatient
- Full-time - Nights
- Work Hours: 7p-7a
- FTE: .9 (72 hrs/biweekly)
- Req #: 16780
Responsible for the completion of all functions of Sleep Lab testing in order to provide accurate test results and quality patient service.
- Performs clinical assessment, physiological monitoring and testing, diagnosis, management, and prevention of sleep related disorders with the use of various diagnostic and therapeutic tools providing care to patients.
- Verifies the medical order and protocol. Reviews history, physical information, medications, procedure request and study protocol.
- Explains the procedure and orients the patient to the sleep lab.
- Prepares and calibrates equipment required for testing to determine proper functioning.
- Performs routine positive airway pressure (PAP) mask fitting.
- Applies electrodes and sensors according to accepted standards.
- Follows procedures to establish and document baseline values.
- Documents routine observations, including sleep stages and clinical events, changes in procedure, and other significant events in order to facilitate scoring and interpretation of polysomnography results.
- Follows procedures to verify integrity of collected data and complete the data collection process.
- Performs routine polysomnography data acquisition while monitoring study-tracing quality to ensure signals are artifact-free.
- Identifies and reports signal abnormalities.
- Scores sleep/wake stages and clinical events according to guidelines and protocols.
- Performs appropriate physiologic calibrations to ensure proper signals and make adjustments, if necessary.
- Implements appropriate interventions (including actions necessary for patient safety and therapeutic intervention such as continuous and bi-level positive airway pressure, oxygen administration, etc.).
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to recognize and provide age specific care in the treatment, assessment, and education of all adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients.
- Scores clinical events (such as respiratory events, cardiac events, limb movements, arousals, etc.)
- Generates accurate reports by tabulation of sleep/wake and clinical event data.
- High school diploma, General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or higher required upon hire
- No experience required
- RST - Registered Polysomnography Technologist from American Board of Sleep Medicine (ABMS) required upon hire OR
- RPSGT - Registered Polysomnography Technologist from Board of Registered Polysomnography Technologist (BRPT) required upon hire OR
- RPSGT - Registered Polysomnography Technologist from National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC) required upon hire AND
- BLS - Certified as a Basic Life Support Healthcare Provider required within 90 days of employment in this position
Skills and Attributes
- Requires critical thinking skills and decisive judgment.
- Works under minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Standing: Frequently
- Walking: Frequently
- Sitting: Occasionally
- Lifting 0-25 lbs: Rarely
- Lifting 25-75 lbs: Rarely
- Lifting over 75 lbs: Rarely
- Carrying 0-25 lbs: Rarely
- Carrying 25-75 lbs: Rarely
- Carrying over 75 lbs: Rarely
- Pushing/Pulling 0-25 lbs: Frequently
- Pushing/Pulling 25-75 lbs: Occasionally
- Pushing/Pulling over 75 lbs: Occasionally
- Climbing: Occasionally
- Bending/Stooping: Frequently
- Kneeling: Occasionally
- Crouching/Crawling: Occasionally
- Reaching: Frequently
- Talking: Frequently
- Hearing: Frequently
- Repetitive Foot/Leg Movements: Rarely
- Repetitive Hand/Arm Movements: Frequently
- Keyboard Data Entry: Frequently
- Running: Rarely
- Vision: Depth Perception: Frequently
- Vision: Distinguish Color: Frequently
- Vision: Seeing Far: Frequently
- Vision: Seeing Near: Frequently
Owensboro Health Core Commitments
INTEGRITY - We conduct ourselves with a high level of responsibility, reliability and honesty because we take seriously the trust of our patients and coworkers.
RESPECT - We value and accept the unique talents and contributions of every patient, customer and team member in the Owensboro Health community.
TEAMWORK - We build a spirit of connectivity and fellowship by striving together to overcome obstacles, surpass goals, celebrate accomplishments and plan the future.
INNOVATION - We foster original ideas and creative solutions that improve our daily work and promote the mission of Owensboro Health.
SERVICE - We focus on service to patients, customers and team members by anticipating their needs, thoughtfully meeting those needs and continually improving the quality of everything we do.
EXCELLENCE - We reach beyond basic expectations to expand our knowledge and awareness, produce exceptional work and provide outstanding service.